The deadline for applying for help with Christmas gifts from Gifts For Moms is Sunday, October 30. This program provides help to single moms in Collin County with school aged children. Apply here.
Having a problem with bobcats? After I shared this interview with a man describing how he removed a bobcat from his dog (last Friday night at Hoblitzelle Park near Alma and Legacy) drives a mom shared her solution. After she chased bobcats away from her son this summer (and the city wasn’t helping) her husband installed a motion detected water turret in their yard, and it’s kept them away. Good thinking!
SusieCakes is coming to the neighborhood! The grand opening is this Saturday, October 29 from 1-4pm and you’re invited! It’s at Preston Towne Crossing on West Park Boulevard and Preston Road (near Trader Joe’s). There will be fun activities for the kids including face painting and a balloon artist, a DJ, prizes and, of course, delicious treats! If you can’t make it Saturday stop by next week (Monday-Friday) from 3-6pm for Cupcake Happyhour – buy one, get one free (up to a dozen free). Visit their website for more info.
The Think Lab at the University of Texas at Dallas is an on-campus research lab that studies how children think about and learn from the world around them. They are currently seeking children ages 4-11 to participate in their research. For participating, children will receive a prize pack and parents will receive a gift card. Learn more here.
Remember the 2016 Bond proposition for a Plano ISD performing arts center? The Plano ISD Board of Trustees voted to buy 16.359 acres of land to construct this new facility at the southeast quadrant of Park Boulevard and Alma Drive, just south of Kosta’s Cafe. The facility is scheduled to open January 2020. At the same school board meeting it was revealed that eight elementary schools are at capacity. The superintendent said that rezoning will be difficult if population growth occurs in those areas. The schools are Aldridge, Barksdale, Brinker, Centennial, Gulledge, Haun, Mendenhall and Stinson.
This is the last year for the Pine Lakes halloween home haunt at 705 Pine Lakes Dr. Organizers recommend parking at Chase Oaks Church’s Legacy Campus about a half-mile away.
This years Food For Kids peanut butter drive by the City of Plano The citywide saw a 170% increase from what was raised last year! Read about it here.
Did you get your Simple Recycling bag in the mail? I spoke with the City and it does need to go to your FRONT curb on your regular recycling day. Ignore the instructions on the bag as they are wrong. Your empty bag will be placed in your mailbox so it can be reused. This is for recycling unwanted clothing and household items.
In case you missed it, Law Street Media named Plano the sixth safest city over 100,000 in the country!
- Bullzerk will open in November at The Shops at Willow Bend offering custom Texas- and Dallas-centric apparel, posters and more.
- Coyote Drive-In Lewisville is opening Friday, October 28 at 1901 Midway Road, Lewisville, offering double features, a kids play area area, a dog friendly environment and live music on the weekends.
- Alamo Drafthouse is switching up their Baby Day screening to be Alamo for All – a movie program for young families and guests with special needs. All shows starting before 2 pm on Tuesdays follow Alamo for All rules, with more shows on the weekends.
- Simply Designed by Me sip and paint studio opened this month at 8604 Preston Rd, Plano
- TradeMark Car Wash, opened across the street from John Paul II high school on Coit offering full-service car washes with complimentary beer and wine in a high end, trendy sports bar feel lobby.
- Coach is coming to Legacy West in March.
- Fabindia Western and Indian style clothing store opened at 6205 Coit Road
- Kate Weiser Chocolate will again open a pop-up store around Thanksgiving at The Shops at Legacy (7300 Lone Star Drive) and be open until just after Valentine’s Day.
- University Co-Op opened at the Shops at Legacy at 5800 Legacy Drive
- The Impeccable Pig relocated to The Shops at Legacy, 5800 Legacy Dr
- Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill opened at 8315 Preston Road
- Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar will open at 8401 Preston Road in November or December
- Ikigai Udon plans to open at 8245 Preston Road in January.
- Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe opened at 8305 Preston Road