Bricks 4 Kidz is sponsoring a Brick Sculpture Contest and Family Building Festival at the Frisco Discovery Center on March 26th from 10am-3pm. Entry into the contest is optional and there is a $10 fee (includes admission). There will be prizes (including FREE Bricks 4 Kidz Camp, $50 LEGO® gift card) for each age group. There will be giant bricks, robotics, motorized builds and a community-created mosaic. Tickets are $5/person or $20/family.
Enjoy finger painting fun while helping your favorite charity! Jellybeanstreet takes your child’s artwork and turns it into fine art and the proceeds go to your favorite children’s charity. Come paint at one of their workshops at The Art Centre Theatre (5220 Village Creek Drive, Plano). Perfect for mom’s groups, birthdays or come on your own and have fun! Book online here or contact Heather at [email protected] for more information.
Not sure if your child is ready to start kindergarten this fall? My second son has a summer birthday so we had readiness concerns. Children’s Discovery Center Preschool is hosting a free Kindergarten Readiness Seminar on Tuesday, March 15th from 5-7:30pm. A panel of Kindergarten experts, including current kinder teachers, parents and administrators, will discuss what children and parents can expect from today’s kindergarten. The seminar is free and childcare is available if you register online here.
The Frisco RoughRiders have started construction on the Choctaw Lazy River, a brand-new 3,000-square-foot lazy river, highlighting a 12,000-square-foot outfield party and group hospitality area. Check out the details in this video.
Grapevine Vintage Railroad has two upcoming events you’ll want to consider. The Easter Bunny Train is March 26 & 27 and Day Out With Thomas is April 1-3, 8-10. Click here for more info.
Since late January there have been five reports of attempted child abductions in several cities north of Plano (Melissa, Anna, Van Alstyne, Tom Bean & most recently, Princeton). He’s an older white man wearing glasses, balding with white hair and possibly a long, white shaggy beard .In one case, police say the man offered a child brownies to lure her to his vehicle. Read the news report here.
The rezoning for some students at Brinker Elementary and Renner Middle School was approved. All of the students changing schools live in four new apartment complexes. Complete details are here.
- Everything must go at Sports Authority. I stopped by this morning and it’s still 10% off most of the full-priced merchandise and 20% off the lowest price on clearance items. There are still plenty of clothes and bikes!
- Olive Mae children’s clothing boutique moved out of their downtown Plano location on 15th Street and into a new space at 801 K Ave.
- A 60,000 square foot Gander Mountain store is under construction in Frisco with plans to open this fall in the Eldorado Marketplace, near the northeast corner of Eldorado Parkway and Dallas North Tollway.
- Go Ape Treetop Adventures opened at Oak Point Park. Check out some mom tips on this blog post.
- Into My Garden Tea Room is moving into 1726 K Ave and plans to reopen in April or May following renovations.