Looking for a fun summer camp for kid who loves to act? Art Centre Theatre has got you covered! Camps are one- or two-week full-day sessions and culminate with one or more final live performance(s) for friends, family, and the public (depending on the production). All participants are given speaking and/or singing roles. Sessions are from 9am-5pm. Camps are The Days of Disco, July 18-29, The Wizard of Oz July 5-16, Cinderella June 20-July 1, Beauty and the Beast August 1-12, Broadway Camp July 19-22 plus The Hunchback of Notre Dame (show in September) meets once a week beginning the week of June 27th. To register or learn more visit their website.
Planning to visit Hawaiian Falls this summer? Buy your tickets in advance here for $20 plus tax (regular price is $27.99 plus tax) to benefit TeamConnor Childhood Cancer Foundation, a non-profit organization Tickets are valid throughout the summer (May 28, 2016 – September 5, 2016).
The rain is gone and the hot weather is here! Check the Pools & Sprayparks post for tons of ways (some are free) to cool off with your kids. I checked with the city of Plano today and due to all the rain the Jack Carter pool/spraypark work is a little behind schedule. They are now expecting an early July opening. You can read more on this post.
Climb Out of Darkness is a national walk to raise awareness of maternal mental illnesses like postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety & OCD, postpartum PTSD, postpartum psychosis, bipolar/peripartum onset, and pregnancy depression and anxiety. It’s held on or near the longest day of the year annually to help shine the most light on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. This year the local walk is happening Saturday, June 18th at Arbor Hills in Plano. Register here.
Are you interested in volunteering in the local community, and meeting new women? The Junior League of Collin County is currently holding information sessions for their 2016-17 recruitment, which ends July 1st. The Jr. League is an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. There are close to 1,000 members in the Collin County chapter. The next information session is Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10am at the JLCC Office, 5805 Coit Rd, Plano. You can also learn more here and contact Kym Book, Membership Development Committee Chair [email protected] to learn more and/or RSVP.
After a testing season marred with computer glitches, lost tests and numerous other problems, Education Commissioner Mike Morath is tossing out the STARR test results for fifth- and eighth-graders. Read more here.
- A 6-screen Coyote Drive-in theater is coming to Lewisville later this year, maybe this summer!
- Mac Speed & Strength is now open at 3645 Dallas Parkway, providing athletic training sessions for children and adults
- Creative Role-Play Academy is now open at 8700 Stonebrook Pkwy, Frisco
- Japan-based store Daiso is opening this month at 101 W. Spring Creek Pkwy selling home supplies, stationery and gift items at reduced prices.
- Denim & Co opened at The Shops at Willow Creek
- The Apple Store at The Shops at Willow Bend closed for renovations and will re-open in August.
- Lita’s la Mexicana opened at 7224 Independence Pkwy
- Kula Revolving Sushi Bar opened at 100 Legacy Dr
- Pie Five Pizza Co will open at 8315 Preston Rd mid-September
- In Fretta Urban Pizza Bar will opened at 5588 SH 121
- Fleming’s Steakhouse is opening at the ground floor of Legacy Tower (7250 Dallas Parkway) on June 27th
- Cafe Gecko relocated from The Colony to 6145 Windhaven Pkwy
- Casa Mama Mexican Restaurant opened at 19129 Preston Rd
- European-style cafe XO Coffee Company will open at 1025 E. 15th St by the end of the summer.
- Laili cafe opened at 1920 Preston Rd
- Lebanese bakery and restaurant Fadia’s Bakery & Deli relocated from Richardson to 910 W. Parker Road
- Cafe Izmir is coming to 1921 Preston Rd